Saturday, October 18, 2008

Champions of Change

I was asked to write a blog about the Gala. I am embarrassed to say that I have not paid that much attention to it this year. I am on a tight budget this year and couldn't stand to see all of the wonderful items being auctioned off on which I am unable to bid. Even though last year I thought I might be able to go this year, that hasn't happened either. So let me talk about the Gala in more general terms if that's okay. Let me marvel about the Bubel Aiken Foundation and all of the good it does. Let me be absolutely in awe of the dedication that created the foundation, the devotion that keeps it growing and the vision that will maintain it for years to come. Let me also mention Clay who said he wanted his image removed from the logo. He wants the Foundation to be about the Foundation. He wants it to be about the kids that it benefits and about the volunteers who do so much to promote inclusion. And yet, he appears at the Gala and sings for the attendees and personally thanks the people who are carrying the message.
Face it - we started the BAF. Clay thought of it, wrote about it, conceptualized it and dreamed of it. We found out about the dream and we sent money, pledged support and volunteered our time and, just like that, a charitable foundation was born. Now it grows and as that happens, more and more children are reaping the benefit of Clay and Diane's dream. I think that's pretty awesome!
Now to the Gala - the Champions of Change. We have all seen awards shows, we know about industry dinners and balls and self congratulatory events. In my own professional life I have attended these events where people are honored. Here's the difference, though - at all of those it seems that the industry is honoring itself. These things are a lot of self aggrandizement and a lot of patting themselves on the back. The Oscars honor the industry - not the people who go to the movies and pay for the tickets that allow the industry to flourish. The Emmys don't honor the couch potatoes with remotes in hand. I work in the construction field. We don't honor the tenants and owners who move into our spaces or hire us to build them. We honor those of us who build the spaces the best.
The Bubel Aiken Foundation, though, honors the beneficiaries. It honors and rewards the people who make it possible for the dream to come alive. It honors and thanks the very people for whom it was created - the kids and adults who have embraced inclusion and who work so very hard to make it a reality.
Now that's a reason for a Gala!

9 comments:

stargazer said...

Well, QBBabe, you honor me in friendship. That is such a wonderful and insightful way to speak of the Gala. I was thinking just the other day about the first cash I ever sent Clay's way. It was a little donation to the LWLHD Foundation and, really, look what love has done. I'm so proud of Clay and so proud of all the folks who continue to make the Foundation thrive.

Maybe next year we'll be there to celebrate in person.

Anonymous said...

You two have honored me by being my friends in Clay love and in real life, I will forever be in your debt!! So true we all saw the vision behind the vision and will se this for many years to come.. the old saying we have, "we came for the Music, but stayed for the MAN". How true is that!!!

and yes we WILL get there!

again, love you both

hugs and love, Shy

SueReu said...

WONDERFUL!!!! I am so proud of Clay and what he has accomplished!!

Not just for the kids, but for all of us - inclusion comes in many forms. Thank you Clay for educating us on the importance of acceptance and inclusion. It is, after all, the right thing to do.

Truth Rules said...

For Clay Aiken, it's always been about the kids and inclusion.

Anonymous said...

My friend and I would have been there tonight if it wasn't for a leeeetle problem. It's my sons birthday. Priorities people! Anyway, my heart is there with the volunteers, the honorees, the staff that so diligently move the BAF forward every year, the wonderful children that the BAF serves and of course the one in a million Clay Aiken who put his time and heart into getting this great organization off of the ground.

I was very fortunate to attend the first BAF Gala in Kansas City in 2004. I will never forget it. It takes a village for sure, and I am very, very proud to be a supporter of the BAF.

outback

QBBabe said...

No wonder Clay is proud of his fans. I love the posters here!

Dianne Barbee said...

QBBabe,

Excellent post about The Bubel/Aiken Foundation and its co-founder, Clay Aiken, truly a "champion of change."

For Shy, thank you for your kind remarks in the Carolina blog.

Have a great week!

Caro

Dianne Barbee said...

Stargazer,

Ditto to you - thank you for your kind remarks in the Carolina blog! I think I have finally figured out the "Shy" team. *g*

Have a super week!

Caro

Ashes said...

This is an awesome blog, thank you for this perspective. Clay Aiken is truly one in a million..make that a billion. He has opened so many doors with his program for Inclusion.
I'm so proud to be a Clay fan.

Add to Technorati Favorites