Saturday, October 4, 2008

Proud of Our Boy!

Gotta admit it - I am feeling pretty smug here. Clay Aiken is exactly the man I thought he was. How smart am I to have recognized such integrity? Well, maybe not so smart after all since everything he has ever said and done publicly would lead anyone with half a brain to realize that.
His blog last night was perfect! He knows the reaction of the fans - all of them. They could loosely be put into three groups -
1. I love Clay no matter what!
2. I am horrified because his sexual orientation is an abomination.
3. I am hurting because I feel that Clay lied to me.
He addressed all three groups.
1. Thanks for your support. I will still be here. There will be tours, there will be appearances - let's keep up our relationship of the past 5 years.
2. I understand that you feel that way. I will not tell you that you are wrong.
3. I am sorry that you feel that way. I will explain why I said what I said when I said it and I will not apologize for it, but I am sorry for your feelings.
And he loves all of us!
Seriously, how can you not be impressed with someone so true to themselves and so well spoken? You can read what Clay thinks is truly important and it's not what everyone's angst has been about! He is asking us - all of us - to focus on what is really important, not on one aspect of his life. It really has been a turbulent week in our society. The "Rescue Plan" is certainly going to affect our lives far more than Clay Aiken's sexuality. We have a really big election coming up. That outcome is going to mean more to our day to day lives than Clay's orientation. He's challenging us to take a look at our priorities - smart man!
This has all been easy for me because I don't care about Clay's sexual orientation. Sure, I shifted my dreams, but those were only mine to start. This was not a big deal for me - I have not cried or prayed or wrung my hands. I have patented my line of "Better to have a fantasy dashed because I'm a woman than to have a fantasy dashed because I'm an old woman!".
Easy for me - not so much for others. This is my blog, though, so my point of view is the one that's presented here. My point of view is that I love Clay Aiken. I love his voice, I love the person I have come to believe that he is. I love his integrity. I love his passion. I love his dedication. I love his humor. I love his sense of self. He is proud of the man he is and so am I.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too am SOOOO PROUD OF OUR BOY!!

SueReu said...

BRAVO BRAVO!!!!

I'm proud of him too - I picked the REAL WINNER when I hitched my wagon to this star (sorry Ralph Waldo Emerson - your quote, kind of)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful blog. You define so well what Clay Aiken has set out to do in his heartwarming blog, and succeeded totally. Just as SueRue said, I also picked a REAL WINNER when I hitched my wagon to Clay.

Ashes said...

Clay is more amazing than ever.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad so many others feel the same way I do. It doesn't matter to me about his orientation. I just want him to be happy and have a wonderful successful life and career. If that includes me having to follow his career until my dying day, well, so be it.

Thank you for your blog. I'm going to have to bookmark it.

-Deb in Texas

Add to Technorati Favorites