Wednesday, September 17, 2008

How do we handle the drought?

This is not what I meant to write, but when I sat down, this is what appeared on the paper!

Well, we have two more days to wait until Clay reprises his role in Spamalot on Broadway. The anticipation has gotten us through the last days and weeks, but what about the rest of the drought? How do we manage to get through weeks and months without a Clay sighting, without a blog, without radio play?

I know that many fans return to their real lives. They spend more time with their spouses and significant others. They play with their kids and cook them dinner. They go to work and respond promptly when asked a question. Some actually travel! Somehow they don’t feel like it’s cheating on Clay when they spend money on a plane ticket that won’t take them to a concert. A very few even spend money on tickets to things other than Clay concerts. Wow – now those are some independent women!

This fan, however, has no real life that will provide distractions and fill the time with pleasures while waiting for the greater pleasure.

This is not a poor me story! It’s just that I have managed to fill my real life with Clay, too. I have a job that I love and there are Clay posters on the walls and Clay CDs playing in my office and coworkers who ask regularly how Clay is doing and when I will see him next.

My kids are adults and live in other states. I see them several times a year and speak to them often. They always ask what’s on my Clay agenda! Someone asked my son what he thought of my fandom. He thinks it’s great that he doesn’t need to call me 5 times a week to see if I’m okay and not lonely. He leaves messages and says, “If you’re at a Clay concert, just call me later.” My daughter tries to rearrange her schedule so she can come along on my Clay trips.

I have wonderful friends with whom I spend a lot of time. Much of what we enjoy together is not Clay related at all. They will always ask about him, though, and they will always let me choose which CDs we are playing. Some of my Clay friends have visited my home and met my real life friends. What a surprise – everyone gets along beautifully! Each group remembers the others’ names and they recognize one another in pictures. I have good taste in friends.

My droughts are still filled with Clay! Each day, something will remind me how much I miss the tours, the concerts, the banter and all that is Clay. Unlike that song, "How can I miss you if you won't go away?", in some way I have Clay in my life every day, but I miss him!

Okay, so here’s my point – how do we get through the droughts? More important point? Aren’t you glad that Clay will be back in just two days?

11 comments:

Chitter said...

I listen to his music everyday or I have him reading his book to me or reading the Ugly Ducking story.
I love hearing him.
My family has no problem with my Clay anything. They joke constantly that he is a member of our family because he has a place of honour on our fridge. LOL

I have travelled by myself to concerts and met up with amazing clay fans. This weekend I'm off t NYC with a friend for the opening and will be meeting fans from California, NYC, NeW Zealand, Orgegon, and the list goes on.

I have a lot of other things in my life and Clay is there somehow in it all.

Anonymous said...

yip, Clay is in my everyday life, right along with my real life. My life wouldn't be the same if not for Clay Aiken and my Clay friends.. hehhe my salon lets me play Clay too.

jbc4clay said...

Well, he wakes me in the morning and sings me to sleep at night. :)
Between working and keeping our home, I am keeping up with my Clay friends on the boards.

Deona said...

I don't know how he does it, but he certainly has held my attention for the last five years. I expect he will continue to do so for a long time!

clayam said...

The drought is almost over.
I spend my time during the droughts by listening to Clay, watching my tapes of Clay on TV that I have recorded previously, spending a lot of my time(since I am retired) on message boards and voting for Clay every chance I get.
I can't make it to NYC this time but wish everyone who is going the best of times.

SueReu said...

better believe I'm excited for Friday!! YAY!!!

I've spent my time making videos (which helps - a lot) and chatting with friends on boards, on the phone, IM's, PM's, TM's YNI!!

and just so you know, I also spend time with my family

Clay coming back on Friday will be like that first sunny day in Spring and a welcome relief!!

Dianajoe said...

Clay Aiken started this whole affair five years ago. It's going stronger than ever. I intrduced him to my "twiners" when they were a month old . He LOVES twins. They tell me Clay Aiken is my "boyfriend" I just smile and nod.

katy said...

I have one granddaughter who somewhat shares my fandom, but most of the rest of my family are not interested. I have travelled to concerts with friends (and one with my gd)but this time won't be able to go. I've had a busy time traveling with family and can't manage it this time. But next time
YES!!

Anonymous said...

I think about Clay Aiken daily and listen to his music everyday too. He has helped me so much.

Ashes said...

Clay is always with me. Every day I listen to him sing, read or watch him on stage. He goes on walks with me and tells me I can go a bit longer, so I can be in shape to see him in concert.
He had taught me to have fun with my computer by making graphics, dabble in montages, and get brave enough to join message boards for him...and to make a blog! Because of Clay I have many new friends around the world that I hope to meet some day.

What's a drought? LOL

Unknown said...

Droughts without Clay Aiken concerts, sightings, or plays are always hard times, but I listen to his music everyday and watch clack of Clay every chance I get.

Add to Technorati Favorites